Hello everyone! I hope we all survived finals and are getting into the groove of summer! As you may or may not know, it is Memorial Day Weekend, which means people are getting away to enjoy the start of summer with their extra day off. Not me, though. I am hanging around my house this whole weekend because on Sunday, May 26th Netflix is finally releasing the forth season of “Arrested Development.” My Monday holiday will be spent watching all of the new episodes because Netflix is evil and is releasing them all at once. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love the short-lived awesomeness that was “Arrested Development.” Let’s be honest, today the show would have never been canceled, but back in 2006 people didn’t get the dark humor and controversial subject matters. Now, with 15 new episodes and a rumored movie (that is totally going to happen), the Bluth family is back. In honor of this historic weekend here are my top 10 reasons why everyone loves “Arrested Development.”
10. Tobias’ creepiness- Tobias has always scared me. Remember when he got hair plugs and was in turn killing himself because all of his will to live was going into his hair? So creepy. Upside is he always had the best quotes from the show and I’m guessing that there will be plenty more to come with the new episodes and that movie (it’ll happen).
9. Rita (or as I like to call her, Charlize Theron)- Remember when Michael was engaged to the British beauty Rita? Remember when she turned out to be um… mentally handicapped? If you’re looking for reasons the show was canceled that fall under the category of things that people didn’t get and/or were offended by, this would be one of them.
8. Buster vs. his mother- Buster and Lucile’s relationship was always extremely weird. I’m guessing this will continue in the new episodes. Weirdly enough, it actually makes a lot of sense to call out a son never knowing how to please his mother type of relationship. It’s the most human thing about A.R.
7. The banana stand- Because what family doesn’t own one?
6. The guest stars- How was it that no one was watching this show, but they were getting amazing guest stars? Scott Baio, Henry Winkler, and Liza Minnelli to name a few. Supposedly, there are even bigger guest cameos in the new season.
5. The fact that Gob is a magician- And a darn good one at that.
4. George Michael and Maeby- At one time or another we probably all had a crush on our cousin because we were young and well, didn’t know anyone else. However, it is a whole other level of creepy when you’re a teenager and have a legitimate crush on your cousin. I wonder how this is going to work out six years later…
3. Michael Cera- I can’t help it. I love him.
2. Jason Bateman- Because even if what he’s been in isn’t very good, he’s still adorable and you just want to give him a hug. I’ve found myself saying “That movie wasn’t very good, but I’ll let it slide because Jason Bateman was in it and he’s adorable.”
1. The quotes- If you say you don’t quote “Arrested Development” in your daily life, then you’re a liar.
“Can’t a guy call his mother pretty without it seeming strange?”
“Amen. And how about that little piece of tail on her? Cute!”
“I’ve opened a door here that I regret.”